Skip to main content

Homeric Epithets

Unashamed Nerd/Geek

--regardless of the definition you assign to either word. I grew up loving to read and play video games (mostly Nintendo); as I've gotten older, I've dipped my toes in Dungeons and Dragons, played a substantial amount of Magic: The Gathering, and spent many hours watching anime. I love mathematics, enjoy computer programming (from Python to LaTeX to PowerShell to bash), and get a lot of satisfaction from my chemical engineering coursework; I'm not afraid to spend most of my time studying.

Appassionato d'Italiano

--or "Italian enthusiast". After serving a mission in Italy, I have made Italian language, landscape, cuisine, and culture integral parts of how I live and spend my time. The class I took on Dante's Divina Commedia was one of my favorite classes I've ever taken, and what I have read of I promessi sposi was very entertaining. Making lasagne from scratch (pasta, sauce, besciamella and all) is a personal favorite, and on our first date I made gnocchi with my now-wife.

Mountain Explorer

When I see mountains close enough to reach, I feel a very strong urge to get on top of them. Although I'm not terribly experienced with climbing the face, I've hiked Mount Timpanogos several times, Pfeifferhorn, Squaw Peak, Y Mountain, Maple Mountain, Mount Buckley, and Mount Nebo in the area; I've hiked in a lot of out-of-the-way places in northern and central Italy, plus Capo Gallo in Palermo (on Sicily). In Palermo in particular, I rode a train into town from the airport with a study-abroad group, and felt a strong urge to get on top of as many of the mountains I could see as possible in my three days there.

Dedicated Husband

I've only been married a short while, but I'm very determined to make my wife (and eventually children) a priority above study and work. Attending church every week and engaging in daily religious practice similarly feature in my normal routine.

Comments

  1. I love pasta and almost any Italian food, I would love to visit there some time. We would eat pasta every Sunday growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried Dungeons and Dragons out for the first time a couple months ago- it is no joke! What I thought would be a light game turned into a 7 hour adventure for my group and I. Also, nothing beats homemade Italiano. My wife's favorite food is gnocchi too. I might try and make some for her sometime. Hopefully it's not too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isaac, I love your taste! I am also a bit of a nerd myself. I am studying ACME here at BYU with a minor in Computer Science. I also think that it's really cool that you were able to go to Italy on your mission. My family is actually from Sicily (at least on my father's side of the family). I have always wanted to learn Italian and I have always wanted to visit Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isaac, you are a passionate and dedicated man! I love how you have embraced every aspect in you life. You really are making the most of every moment you have. Hiking mountains is so gratifying. Once on top, the views are just breathtaking no matter which mountain it is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment